Terry Holderbaum, Systems Engineer
- What is unique about RTS as an IT service provider or development company, that can’t be found at other companies?
RTS has a willingness to tailor a solution that meets our client’s unique strategic needs.
We understand that most of our clients are not IT consultants and they don’t wish to be.
Rather, they just want to conduct their business in a reliable and predictable manner.
To that end, RTS specializes in providing a strategic direction that enables our clients to
utilize IT systems in a manner that enhances our customer’s bottom line, without presenting needless
obstacles to future growth.
- What motivates or drives you as a professional in the IT industry?
The IT field, much like the medical field, should be dedicated to helping the customer meet their needs
in a safe and effective manner. Like all support roles, IT should pass the ammunition that enables
people to do their jobs more effectively without getting in their way.
Assisting people in overcoming technical challenges is very rewarding.
- Best aha moment when working on something for a client?
About 10 years ago, I recovered a client’s Exchange server from a fire.
I did it without a valid backup of the domain controller. It was a real victory moment.
- If I wasn't in the IT field I would be...
A motorcycle builder.
- What is the best IT advice you could give to anyone?
- Remain calm. There is nothing in life that can’t be made worse by panicking.
Never ever say anything that you are not empirically certain of.
Your customers rely on you for the truth. Assumptions will kill you in this business.
Google is your friend. You do not have to know everything.
A good engineer can recognize good ideas from others and implement them in his own practices.